Hello everyone, you will find a list of the highest paid WNBA players in 2023 including what teams they play for and their salaries. Before we begin, you must know a lot of people are confused because different type of sites have have shown different types of salaries. How come? And why is our list the best one to use compared to let’s say SportingNews.com list and Insiders.com list of the highest paid salaries in the WNBA for the current season, 2023-2024.
After you check out our list, we will explain why our list is the one that makes the most sense and we will explain a bit more on the different types of contracts the WNBA has and we will try to make sense of it all.
As you can see below, we are using the average salary that each player will get, this is the most logical and at the same time basic example that shows how much each player is supposed to get paid for that year from her team.
Highest Paid Salaries in the WNBA
Different types of WNBA Contracts
Rookie scale contracts are for players who have not yet played in the WNBA. Aliyah Boston signed one of these contracts after she was drafted first overall in 2023. The base salary for rookie scale contracts varies depending on where the player was drafted.
- Rookie scale contracts: These contracts are for players who have not yet played in the WNBA. They are typically three years in length, with a fourth-year option. The salary for a rookie scale contract is based on where the player was drafted.
- Aliyah Boston: Boston was drafted first overall by the Indiana Fever in the 2023 WNBA Draft. She signed a rookie scale contract with the Fever that pays her $74,305 in her first year, $75,792 in her second year, $83,371 in her third year, and $94,740 in her fourth year (if the option is exercised).
- Base salary: The base salary for a rookie scale contract is different for each round of draft picks. In 2023, the base salaries were as follows:
- Round 1: $74,305 to $76,240
- Round 2: $71,300 to $72,900
- Round 3: $68,295 to $69,895
- Round 4: $65,290 to $66,890
- Rest-of-season contracts are signed after the season has started. The player receives a prorated amount of their base salary, and the contract cannot have any sort of base salary protection. The value of the contract typically falls anywhere between the league minimum and maximum.
- Replacement contracts are similar to rest-of-season contracts, but they can only be signed if multiple players are currently unable to perform. Replacement contracts are the only type of contract that allows a team to go above the cap. They are terminated as soon as the player being replaced becomes available.
- Hardship and emergency hardship exceptions are the only situations in which replacement contracts can be used. Hardship exceptions are called upon when injury, illness or other conditions like pregnancy and childbirth come into play. The exception has to come because a player is out for three or more weeks at the least. Emergency hardship exceptions are only allowed by league discretion when a team doesn’t have enough players available on their roster (i.e. less than 10).
- Seven-day contracts last for one week and can only be signed in the second half of the season. They are very low commitment contracts, as players can sign up to three with the same team in a singular season, and they cannot extend past the regular season end date.
- Training camp contracts are only used in the preseason. From February 1 to the first day of the regular season, teams can sign players to these deals. They include a one-year, non-guaranteed minimum salary that isn’t added to the cap until the regular season begins.
Understanding the Business Potential of popular WNBA players
The WNBA is growing and so is women sports in general and if you are a business looking to find some players to market your products, why not give the WNBA players a chance? The likes of A’ja Wilson, who is pound for pound the best player in the WNBA with her winning the MVP and defensive player of the year award in the 2022-2023 season, she is looking to repeat the same this year and I can only imagine politics would stop her from winning both titles back to back. With that said, why not contact her and let her promote your businesses or products? She loves fashion, dancing and she has a growing dedicated fan base on all her social media platform. She is probably going to be much cheaper than the other players in different leagues.
- Companies may consider partnering with top players for endorsement deals. Knowing players’ salaries can give businesses an idea of a player’s market value, which is important for negotiating sponsorship contracts.
- For businesses related to sports, like apparel companies, knowing the top salaries in the WNBA can help them understand the market dynamics. This data can be an indicator of the league’s health, its ability to draw top talent, and its potential for growth and profitability.
Gender Pay Gap Analysis:
- Understanding WNBA salaries in comparison to NBA salaries can be essential for businesses advocating for gender pay equality. They may use this information to take public stances, encourage change, or establish their own internal pay equity standards.
- For potential investors or buyers of WNBA teams, knowing the salary structure is vital. It provides insights into the operating costs of a team and helps to inform investment decisions.