Hello everyone, on this page I have carefully selected some quotes by Ursula Burns that I think can inspire each and every one of you reading this. Ursula Burns is a businesswoman so most of these quotes are about her leadership and what she went through as she had to rise to the top in a tough world surrounded by various challenges in life and the business world including being the first black woman to lead a fortune 500 company. You can read more about Ursula in her biography.
I have organized her quotes in different topics to make it easier to read or understand the quotes. Please leave a comment and let us know what you think about her inspiring quotes. I hope these will motivate you to get up and work on that plan or goal you have been delaying.
- “Dreams do come true, but not without the help of others, a good education, a strong work ethic, and the courage to lean in.”
- “Find something that you love to do, and find a place that you really like to do it in. I found something I loved to do. I’m a mechanical engineer by training, and I loved it. I still do. My son is a nuclear engineer at MIT, a junior, and I get the same vibe from him. Your work has to be compelling. You spend a lot of time doing it.”
- “I realized I was more convincing to myself and to the people who were listening when I actually said what I thought, versus what I thought people wanted to hear me say.”
- “I want to stop transforming and just start being.”
Empowerment and Overcoming Barriers:
- “Believe that there are no limitations, no barriers to your success — you will be empowered and you will achieve.”
- “Where you are is not who you are.”
- “I’m a black lady from the Lower East Side of New York. Not a lot intimidates me.”
- “My perspective comes in part from being a New York black lady, in part from being an engineer. I know I’m smart and have opinions worth being heard.”
Change and Adaptation:
- “The world is changing. We all know this. And as that world changes, if you don’t transform your company, you’re stuck.”
- “The best way to change it is to do it. Right? And then after a while you become it, and it’s easy.”
- “I’m an advocate for change and eager to break a little glass when needed.”
Leadership and Work Ethic:
- “As I’ve progressed in my career, I’ve come to appreciate — and really value — the other attributes that define a company’s success beyond the P&L: great leadership, long-term financial strength, ethical business practices, evolving business strategies, sound governance, powerful brands, values-based decision-making.”
- “I say to my team all the time that this is how I grew up: Always thinking that, at any minute, I could be unemployed. You have to scramble. You have to work hard and get ahead of things.”
Want more of Ursula Burns? Why not check out her books, photos and videos.